Friday, August 27, 2010

Giessen Germany

This is a beautiful photograph from the railway in the town where I started my school education



I remember a little about living there, but mostly remember walks with my oma & ompa. I recall one specific occasion when we were walking, I had just gotten my first cane (everyone had one at this point in time) and we stopped at a watering trough where you had to pump the water from a cistern handle to get a drink and some very elderly woman came screaming at us to not touch the water there as it was poisoned.

Ooma was frightened enough that she grabbed my hand and off we went. I was naturally curious, but unafraid as a child but this old woman terrified me. I'll never forget it. Much later in the day we laughed about her being such a horrible person for not just telling us politely, and I got cookies from oompa after we shared the story with him.

It was an incredibly happy time in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment